Sunday, June 3, 2012

I am in trouble...I think-

So, as many of you know I am preparing to run this insane race thingy called Ragnar. I have been training and Saturday (yesterday) was a big test for me. I decided to run UP Millcreek Canyon for 4.5 miles and then attempt to run back down the same distance- This I did attempt, but not without some heartache. I got up the canyon just fine... slowly, but I made it up without too much trouble. Midway down (around Mile 6.5) I felt this sudden SHARP pain in the left (outer) side of my knee.. not on top..the outside. I stopped running and decided to see if I could stretch it out (maybe I pulled a muscle in my knee? I don't know I'm not a Doctor) As I was stretching a couple of runners stopped and asked me if I was OK.. I told them about the pain and they suggested I messed up my IT band? They recommended a few stretches and a few minutes to cool down and then to try running again..
I did as they suggested, and to my surprise it seemed to go away after 10 minutes of stretching...so I started back down the canyon.. around mile 7.75 it came back WITH A VENGEANCE!!!!! This time I couldn't stretch it out, or rest it out...I couldn't hardly walk. I then decided to call it quits and have Eva come and pick me up.
I got home and took some pain killers... this helped a little bit and I decided it might be a good idea to go for a bike ride to work those IT band muscles. This I also did with little to no trouble. We rode about 10 miles on the Jordan Parkway. And everything was good, still soar and mild pain...but good.
Last night I went to bed with mild pain in the Iliotibial band area of my knee - I slept until about 6:00 am and then woke up to the most dull / achy pain I have ever felt.. I decided to try something... Just answer a simple question- Can I run? The answer....^&%(*&^& no :( I really can't , it HURTS like the dickens! I have 2 weeks until Ragnar? Will I be able to recover from Iliotibial band syndrome? Or should I bail out of the race?? Maybe I should see a medical professional??? 


...To be continued

1 comment:

  1. Sounds gnarly, man. Maybe you should see a doctor. Or Dan. He's good at this kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete